I don’t know why, but when I pronounce this dish I have to say it like CHIKCAN AN DUMPLANNNSS
Anyway I grew up on these and wanted to make my own version! The kind I grew up on were incredibly simple with just broth, chicken, and biscuit dough. I was obsessed.
1. 2 carrots sliced
2. Some sort of greens, I used collard completely optional though
3. 3-4 chicken breasts
4. 1 onion
6. 2 cups Flour
7. 1/2 cup Milk
8. 1 tbsp Baking Powder
9. 1-2 tbsp Thyme
10. 5 tbsp Olive oil for dumplings
11. Olive oil for roasting chicken and sauté veggies
11. 2 Bay leaves
12. 3 cloves Garlic
13 A few cups of Chicken broth
1. Preheat your oven to 375. Place chicken on a baking sheet coat in olive oil, S&P. Bake 18-22 minutes until cooked through.
2. In a pot add olive oil. Add sliced onion , S and P. Cook 1-2 min. Add garlic, carrots, and greens. Add thyme and bay leaves. Stir for 3-4 min.
3. Add in broth. I didn’t measure, oops. I added until the pot was half full. So maybe 4-5 cups
4. Add in greens and let simmer for at least 20 min. Make dumplings
5. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.
6. Add in milk and and olive oil. Slowly mixing but not too much. Don’t want to over mix.
7. Let batter sit. Shred the chicken with two forks and add it to the broth mix.
8. Using a cookie scoop, scoop the dumplings into the broth. Spoon some broth over each top and cover. I like my dumpling softer so I let them cook for 9-11 minutes, but they can cook for 15 min so more firm dumplings
Literally so freaking good and a bowl full of comfort, enjoy!