When I think of Spring I think of lemon. When I think of coconut I think of Summer. So naturally I made those flavors into a cake!
This is a lemon two layered cake with a coconut buttercream and is only the second layered cake I’ve ever made! It was challenging I admit and it looks way much easier on the baking Championships on Food Network(if you watch those, you awesome).
Using a turn table is tricky, using cake decorating tools is tricky, and making buttercream is tricky. I had to make it twice because the first batch I made separated, so I made sure not to over mix the next batch!
This is just a note that I am learning, but I absolutely love every second of it!
1. 1-3/4 cup sifted cake flour
2. 1 cup of sugar
3. 1/2 tsp baking powder
4. 6 egg whites
5. 6 egg yolks
6. 1 tsp cream of tartar
7. 1/2 tsp salt
8. 1/4 cup cold water
9. 1/2 Tbsp vanilla
10. 1/2 cup lemon juice
11. The zest of two lemons
1. 1 1/2 cups of softened butter
2. 1 bag of coconut flakes(toast half)
3. A few cups of powdered sugar(I never measure this 🙂 )
4. A pinch of salt
5. 1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Beat egg whites with salt and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
3. In separate bowl beat egg yolks, cold water, and vanilla.
4. Sift together flour, sugar, and baking powder.
5. Add in dry ingredients to egg told mixture a little bit at a time. Alternate dry ingredients and lemon juice. Add in zest.
6. Gently fold egg whites into batter. A little bit at a time very gently.
7. Pour into two 10 inch round pans greased and with parchment paper. Bake for 30 minutes. But it depends on your oven!
8. Whole cakes cool make frosting. Whip butter until light and fluffy. Add in salt, vanilla, and powdered sugar a little bit at a time. DON’T OVER MIX!
9. You should get a light and fluffy texture. Add in non toasted coconut. To toasts your coconut just add in a dry skillet tossing until golden. Add in 1/4 of toasted coconut and stir. ( save the rest for decoration)
Just frost and enjoy!!!