My first naked cake!
This is the first time that I have made a layered cake without any hiccups! I am so so thankful and so proud of this cake!
Of course it’s not perfect, but I could care less about perfection.
This is a moist banana cake with a rum buttercream! I made it for my father’s birthday (who never eats sweets) and he ate two whole pieces, which counts for me as a success.
Those layers!!! I just can’t believe I made this cake.
Now to the recipe and I will stop bragging on myself, but only on the internet. In real life I am patting myself on the back.
3/4 cup of softened butter
1 Cup white sugar
1 Cup brown sugar
3 large eggs
4 ripe medium bananas
3 Cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups softened butter
1-2 Tbsp rum extract
A few Tbsp of milk
3/4 pkg of powdered sugar
(The only thing I measured here was the butter) it just depends on what you like when it comes to rum flavor and consistency.
1. Cream butter and sugar in stand mixer or hand mixer.
2. Add in eggs one at a time. Beating well after each one.
3. In a separate bowl mash bananas very well and add baking soda. Add this to butter and sugar mix.
4. In another bowl sift flour, salt, and baking powder. Add to wet mix alternating with buttermilk. Begin and end with dry ingredients.
5. Beat until smooth. Grease 3 8 inch round baking pans lined with cooking spray and parchment paper. Pour in batter envelope between three pans.
6. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Cool completely.
1. Using mixer beat softened butter until light and fluffy.
2. Add in one cup of powdered sugar at a time, mixing after each one. Do this until very thick. Add in rum extract, I did around 2-3 Tbsp. Just taste to see what you like.
3. Add small amount of milk to loosen if needed.
You can decorate however you want! I did a generous layer of frosting in between each cake and a thin layer on the outside for the naked look. I piped some cute star piping on the bottom border.
Very simple, but this was practice for me and I’m so happy with it!