Not going to lie I may or may not have had a mental breakdown making this pie…
I have NEVER made a homemade apple pie before. My mom always got a frozen one and while delicious, it’s still not the same.
I made this one vegan as well! I used plant based butter! So all of you that are dairy free or vegan can eat this pie! Yay!
I knew going in I wanted to braid the crust and get fancy and pretty:) that was where I struggled the most. Making the crust, filling, and rolling out the crust was fine. I just had to take a break from it then come back and once I did it worked!
Sometimes you just need a break I guess😅
Anyway I’m super proud of this pie and it tastes freaking delicious!!
1. 1 1/2 cup plant based butter(Earth Balance for example)
2. 2 1/4 cups of flour
3. 3 Tbsp of sugar
4. pinch of salt
5. 3-4 Tbsp ice water
1. 6-7 Granny Smith apples peeled and sliced medium thin
2. 1 cup white sugar
3. 2 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
4. 1/2 tsp ginger
5. 2 Tbsp lemon juice
6. 1/4 cup flour
7. 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 400. Cut your butter into cubes and place into the freezer. In a bowl sift together the dry crust ingredients. Set aside.
2. In a big bowl add in your apples, lemon juice, sugar, spices, and vanilla. Mix and let sit.
3. Add your butter to the dry crust ingredients. Using your hands or patty cutter for the butter into pea sized shapes making a coarse crumb. Add in ice water one Tbsp at a time just until the dough comes together. Wrap in plastic wrap and place into the fridge to chill for 30 min.
4. You can place the apples in the fridge as well. Once it has chilled roll the dough out. About 1/4 inch thick. Turn the dough as you roll it to keep a round shape and it it cracks just pinch them together as you go.
5. On a sprayed pie pan place the dough inside and form it to the pan. Cut off edges and place those back into the fridge for ten min.
6. Roll out remaining dough and form into lattices or braids. I would suggest how to braid but I’m not an expert yet ha ha 😅 sorry!
7. You can also just roll out another circle and place on top with slits in the middle. You can crimp the sides of the pie as well! Brush the top with egg wash or if vegan brush with almond milk, coconut milk, or plant butter.
8. Bake at 400 for 25 minutes. After those 25 minutes, place some aluminum foil around the crust so it doesn’t burn. Turn the oven down to 375 and bake for another 30-35 min